Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Marriage is of GOD

by Dennis and Barbara Rainey

To Mirror God's Image

Genesis 1:27
And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Hanging in my mother's bedroom is a photograph of the Grand Teton Mountains. I gave her that 8x10-inch enlargement after photographing the Tetons from the edge of Jenny Lake.

The morning I took that picture, Jenny Lake was like a mirror. If you take the photo and turn it upside down you can't tell which mountains are real and which are a reflection.

When I look at that picture, I think of God's first purpose for marriage: to mirror His image. To "mirror" God means to reflect Him; to magnify, exalt and glorify Him. A successful marriage between two committed Christians provides a tangible model of God's love to a world that desperately needs to see who He is.

Because we're created in the image of God, people who wouldn't otherwise know what God is like should be able to look at us and get a glimpse of Him. People are never more like God than when they love one another and remain committed to each other despite their flaws.

But what happens if you toss a stone into that perfect reflection? My good friend and colleague Dave Sunde told me he once visited Jenny Lake on that same kind of clear, still day. He watched a boy skip a small stone across the placid water and immediately the perfect reflection of the mountains was distorted. God's image, His reflection, is distorted when a husband or wife allows sin to enter his or her life or relationship. Your marriage represents God; protect it from the "stones"-the sin-that will distort His image.

Prayer:
That God will help you keep your "mirror" polished and clear, so His image will be reflected in the way your family lives.

Discuss: When people look at your marriage, how do they see an example of God's love? What would people learn about God from your marriage?

This is one of my favorites (my email devotional tonight). Well, all the articles of this couple. hehehe! I am just so overwhelmed on how GOD is blessing me in all aspects of my life especially in having a comparable helper and lifetime partner in the faith.

Before I read this, I was already thinking of Cody. While I was reading this, I was still thinking of him. And a beautiful realization dawned on me.

Earlier while Cody and I were chatting online, he told me that we truly have a special relationship because we think of marrying each other even when we only had 2 weeks of being together physically. A year of friendship. Our relationship as a couple will celebrate its first year soon.

I also remember someone say that real love is thinking of marriage with a person you say that you love (romantic love, of course). Love is a lifetime commitment. You can't jump from one partner to another trying to find which one is better but always bringing out the best out of each other (with only one partner for life) with the complete guidance of GOD. You just don't give up when you feel like it. I've learned that in a year with Cody. Of course, we got the BIGGEST help from our FATHER.

I am so ecstatic to know that our relationship is grounded on GOD. Never in my mind have occurred that I will ever have a relationship like this. I am so humbled to inform you that never once, not even a hint, Cody ever gave up on me. He never even told me that. He always wants to work things out. Inspite of our differences, he makes a way for my passion to be his passion, as well. To consider the things that I like that he didn't like before. hehehe! I am just blushing right now thinking that a guy would do that for me. Also, I am just astonished that after a year of this long distance relationship with just 2 weeks of being together, Cody remains faithful. And that is because he is faithful to our GOD. IT IS ALL GOD!

As I always say, marriage is a good thing but no marriage in this world is perfect. Every marriage has its own flaws. It only takes one GOD to make things right. Right in HIS eyes. I still believe in a marriage that GOD created. Every marriage is HIS. GOD is only waiting for you to ask for HIS help. Complete submission. If you can submit to GOD, you can also submit to your spouse in a way that is pleasing to the LORD.

And yes...we are certainly getting there...I only see myself walking in that aisle while Cody is waiting for me at the altar. The altar of GOD.

And above it all, my first desire in our unity as a couple is to glorify GOD alone. To let other people know that with GOD, nothing is impossible. We have yet to see the beauty of our future together that will unravel amazingly in our very eyes with all of GOD's eternal love, amazing grace, neverending faithfulness and mighty power.

How about you? Do you ever want to glorify GOD in your marriage? Think about it. I won't force you to do it. Neither GOD.

But remember: With GOD, everything is POSSIBLE!

Make an impact. Make a difference. Make a ripple. Tip the scale.

ALL THE GLORY IN THIS RELATIONSHIP BELONGS TO GOD ALONE!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY IN YOUR RELATIONSHIPS/MARRIAGES! GOD IS ALWAYS WITH YOU - NO IF'S, NO AND'S, NO BUT'S!

P.U.S.H.

When you feel GOD's love, OVERFLOW!

2 comments:

Emily Rose Massey said...

I LOVED this post!!! Thanks so much for sharing with me your relationship with Cody. I find so many similarities in your relationship with Cody and mine with Paul. What an exciting journey we are both on! Praise God for bringing people like you and Leigh into my life. I may have never met you before, but I know that you are close to my heart because of your kind words and love for God. Bless you dear!

And Congrats on the almost 1 year with your man! :)

Peace & Love.

~hon~ said...

I am so humbled. Thank you. Yes, I'm sure GOD unites all HIS couples for HIS greater glory alone. It is truly an exciting journey. Inspite of distance, GOD connects HIS children for a wonderful friendship. I am very glad with your upcoming wedding, as well. You are such a dear friend to me. GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY! P.U.S.H.

Oh and thank you for the greeting. I'm ecstatic!